Saturday, July 18, 2009

Saturday errands and shopping on our bikes & I SCORE a cool piece of luggage for trips!

Bub wanted to go to Cook's for lunch then I had the idea to go over Ortega...DIDN'T HAPPEN.
Went instead to lunch at a place Bub had gone to, right by Best Buy in Fullerton called 'Midori Japanese Grill No. 7' next to Albertson's.
4090 N Harbor Blvd, Fullerton, CA 92835 (714) 449-1950.

It's Japanese with lots of those special raw fish 'rolls' but also teriyaki and tempura.
We sat down to steaming bowls of miso soup (YES, I know 'miso' in Japanese is 'soup' so I just said "soup-soup'...) and got the teriyaki chix and beef teriyaki. I figured we could share. Just like a woman, huh, guys? It DOESN'T matter what YOU have, she ALWAYS wants some of yours! And it doesn't matter who I'm with or even if there's more than one person like Bub, Jax, Laine, Rhoda, Tori, Nancy my previous boss, Johney, I always want some of theirs, just because I CAN. I WILL tell you that in the past each and every one of them has sampled MY food.
I think Rhoda was the one who started me on it...
It was absolutely wonderful, my beef teriyaki came with rice and japanese crunchy cole slaw which was great. Everything is made fresh there including the dressing, which she told me was a combination of a little bit of mayo, some sesame dressing and a little bit of that red hot stuff. The prices were great, and I actually figured out how those DAMN chopsticks worked. (see pic to the right) Except on the rice... That I just shoveled in with a fork.
Yes, I KNOW, I gotta use more sunscreen on my nose, ok, I get it, I look like a female WC Fields...I can't help it if my nose is the first thing that sticks out from under the helmet! I HATE this pic, but at least it shows me actually USING those damned chopsticks. Hmm, it also looks like a quasi-hate stare from the AB...

Next stop, HOME to drop off the leftovers, then we were going to be-bop over Carbon Canyon and points east, but I needed to grab my boots at the repair place and knew the place was open 'til 3, so we sped over to Capri Shoes on Commonwealth between Harbor and Richman in Fullerton. They did a fantastic job and I asked if they could put more tread on the bottom of them, so gave 'em back. Great job repairing my boots, putting new heels on, shining them up. They had to work from the inside out for the split sides where my toes were.
http://www.caprishoes.com/
NOW back up Harbor to Brea and finally to Carbon Canyon rd. I noticed that as SOON as we hit the San Bernardino County line, the temperature went UP about 15 degrees.
I had an idea because I was getting pretty dry and wanted something, so I led Bub to the Chino airport to Flo's Airport Cafe, some iced tea and some funny repartee from Shirley, a server there. She's actually not just a server, she's an INSTITUTION. Anybody who's ANYBODY knows Shirley. NO, WE DIDN'T PARK IN THE HANDICAPPED SPACE.
We met some new friends there who own a dairy nearby, John and Mary Jakes (I think that's how they spell their name). They had a BLT split and each of their halves was about as big as an actual one! Flo's Cafe is pretty damn good. It's on the airport premises at 7000 Merrill Ave # 8 in Chino, CA 91710-9027 (909) 597-3416.
The Jake's put together a huge Christmas setup in their home with a train and little scenes, like dairys, a football field, a fair, just all sorts of stuff. He keeps adding to it, it's amazing. He starts decorating just after Halloween, and it takes him about 1 1/2 weeks to set up. Great people.
Next we went back over Carbon Canyon and got stuck behind a VW beetle, so we just relaxed to the inevitable and enjoyed the ride. I got ANOTHER idea, i.e. SHOPPING. Heard earlier that Hahm's was redoing their building and their layout so got on the 57 and checked out Hahm's. They only had 4-5 Star M/C's and one was a 2004 Roadie that was so low that it only had about 3-4" clearance between the ground and the swingarm. I'm NOT joking, ask Bub. It was beige, really chromed up and studded out, 6,000 miles on it, one owner. It was consignment, $7,000 plus tax. So it being a 2004, it was 1700 and hmmm, wasn't that one of the years that those Roadies had problems with their staters??.... Doc? Stan? Tommy?

So the old building is now just warehouse stuff and the front building (which I never REALLY paid much attention to, anyway) is where all the bikes and motorcraft are. Parts is (are? somebody let me know re: grammar) upstairs. Just a little smaller than the other parts area but the GLOVES AND HELMETS AREA is really a lot smaller now.
I went upstairs to the parts area, checked some fancier half-helmets with silver flames, but I'm looking for a REALLY good cleaner for Bub's pipes. Besides the recommended Easy-Off Oven Cleaner...
I love this big blow-up Suzuki. It's SO cute.

Got another shopping idea, and this one TOTALLY paid off! Next stop, Cycle Gear in the same parking lot as my 'other' work, Ballys Fullerton. I love Cycle Gear. I know the people, they know me, I always come in and shop and they're so great even if I don't buy anything. Bub reminded me that my Guardian Angel Bell from STAR BQ Vegas got ripped off (from my work!) so he got me one that says, "Lady Rider" on it. I grabbed another oil filter for my bike (always have a spare). I checked out how much batteries were for Bub's bike and the manufacturer/number, so I'll put that info into my pda with the rest of the M/C info. I was also checking out the 'under-seat' saddlebags for my bike for any overnighters (like Death Valley in November) and I saw the NEATEST mini tank bag. Now, I love my regular tank bag, it has come in SO handy for almost EVERYWHERE we go, but sometimes it's a little bulky, I have to haul it in wherever we go, or if we're walking use it as a backpack THEN try to put all the straps back in so they don't flap out at 80 MPH on the freeway, yada, yada, yada.. .THIS mini tankbag is AWESOME. It's called a Cargo Endurance mini tank bag & it's got a handle on top; a long detachable strap for carrying; a hard plastic camera or phone compartment; two small canvas compartments on either side for film/batteries/makeup; a larger inside square canvas compartment for a wallet and bigger camera, and has an expansion zipper to make it bigger. I can use IT instead of having to bring my big tank bag AND my purse, because it can just be the purse. It is so cool, check out the pics, plus at CycleGear it was $20 off the regular price! If you look closely, you can see how big (or small) it is compared to my tank. It's on my tank, right up against the seat. Below, that hard plastic cover on the top is open to show the neat velcro sturdy area for a cell phone and/or camera-again, see how compact it is on my tank? It's ACTUALLY smaller than it looks here. Pic aboveis the main compartment and one of the side compartments, unzipped. Little sucker holds a LOT. There's a small handle on the top and a longer strap for the shoulder. It also came with a waterproof bag to put it in in case of rain. (for a second there, when I took it out, it looked like a shower cap.)
Bub DIDN'T even know it was a magnetized tank bag! He thought it was some dumb shoulder-strap purse that I didn't need (since I have tons of purses) and didn't realize until I put it on my tank that it was a tank bag. DUH.

After that, 6 PM, time for home and about 10 gallons of water, drinking AND bathing.
Made me VERY glad that somebody I know suggested strongly that I buy a half-helmet for comfort, and not just to look nasty wearing it while riding.
Which is still ok. Looking like a nasty AB, that is. People can get to know the 'butter' underneath later, I just look mean. Well, if the shoe fits...

No comments: