Monday, March 2, 2009

Short, INTERESTING ride on Sunday, March 1st, 2009

The weather was wonderful, so the usual Sunday ride was definitely happenin'.
The interesting part is that I took a passenger on my tinker-toy 650. THAT was very, um, interesting.
Planned on going first over Ortega, stopping at Hell's Kitchen, then back;
Decided that we'd be better off going out the 60/10/Oak Glen loop;
Went to pick up our friend Jessica, and she got on my bike. Within 3 blocks I had changed my mind again, to do a simple ride out to Cook's Corner because Jax wanted to shop for a leather vest. Right, that gave me a good excuse to not do curves and corners because:
The weight distribution was ok, but it was twice what I'm used to, so I needed twice as much stopping distance AND power, twice as much acceleration crank, and had to watch out, because my passenger tended to move when we were stopped, so I'm holding the bike up and she moves, so it made me a little nervous. She moved on the seat because my seat is relatively new, un-broken in, and let's face it, a little stiff. Plus Jessica had to sit upright closer to me because I don't have a sissy bar nor a pad, so she couldn't kick back or lean back. Her butt was a little sore, as was mine...usually the first aid kit/fanny pack will brace my back when I lean back on the seat, so it's all good.
I felt better after a few miles under my belt with a passenger on. The freeways are the best, second comes curves, then stopping, believe it or not. A couple of times at the beginning I'd stop so fast that our helmets boinked, but I got the feel of it soon.
Cook's Corners was UNBELIEVEABLY crowded. I mean, the parking lot was so full that people were parking across the street. I thought that there was NO WAY we were going to stop, so we kept on going. We could (and did) stop at Cycle Gear in Fullerton behind the Bally's where I work out (and my knuckles are for another blog, but you guys will see them on Thursday's FOS bike night)

I can't believe I forgot the first aid kit PLUS the sd card for my camera! I wanted Jessica to take pics of when we were traveling, but no sd card and her camera's battery kinda died. She did take some pretty good pictures while the battery was trying to cling to life. I'll get those from her in a day or so. She took a pretty good one of me with my half-helmet on. One time, a friend of mine said that the half helmet looks the best when you ride a cruiser, and I have to agree. I finally figured out how to cinch it under my neck-I dunno, maybe my neck was puffing out like a horse's belly and I had to re-cinch it like I would do if I put a saddle on a horse.
After coming back around from Trabuco again, we beelined for Cycle Gear and got Jax a really cute leather vest to wear without a shirt underneath, plus some of those t-helmet hangers for my helmet lock.
We went for pizza at some place in La Habra, I think it's called 'Slam Dunk' or something like that, and I took these pics with my phone. Usually I keep a small card in my phone, but even that wasn't there. Talk about one's head up one's rear.
Took Jessica home afterward, dropped jax off, then went for more shopping, which is always a good end to a good ride day! Below, Bub and Jax try to figure out how to fit 10 pounds of shit into an 8 pound saddlebag. Jackie eventually had to kind of sit on the top of the saddlebag to get it to close.

No comments: