Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Vegas Trip Part 3-Stuff I Want To Do There WHICH ain't gonna be much since it's now turned into a 1 day turnaround

We're talking doing some SERIOUS research here. Oh, yeah. My forte.
I'm sitting here watching Ghostrider (Nicholas Cage) and watching the special features 'the Making of Ghostrider', especially checking out the fiberglass fire bike. It's getting me into the mood for this trip.
The schedule for the STAR BQ was published and there are three self-guided rides on Friday. I WAS going to give all 3 a shot. It would've been a tad hard because the two day rides are kind of far from each other, but if I had made a schedule and stuck to it, then I could've done them both. Ok, yeah, I had already done a schedule. and it looked like I could've done it, but again, on a one-day turnaround, it'll be not in the cards this time. Wish I could do one of them, but I know that Barry and Johney will be champing at their bits to be-bop outta there. Or maybe not. Maybe if I stamp my foot and cry... I should be a frikkin' travel agent.
Red Rock Canyon/Mountain Springs Saloon was the first day trip, then the Valley of Fire ride is also on the same day.
Both promised to be spectacular photo ops, so I'd had to account for at least 60 minutes within each of the loops for pictures and just jaw-dropping.
The third ride (as I mentioned in the Part 2 post) is the Vegas Strip ride. That I DEFINITELY would've liked to do.

NOW, on to things to do that are not 'ride related'. They are quasi-motorcycle related, though.
The Fremont Experience...ah, the light show. Seems that on Thursday night at 7:30 PM the light show is "Bad To The Bone", music to the show of a wild motorcycle ride through a dusty Vegas boneyard. Oh, YEAH, that's gonna be COOL. I've always been a fan of George Thorogood and the Destroyers, and the songs "Bad To The Bone" and "Who Do You Love?" for this show are going to be perfect for motorcycles. I'm going to try to find a free shuttle (maybe from Sam's Town next door) to go down to the Fremont Street area. NOPE, no such animal, besides it's only 15 minutes from the hotel via bikes. Below is the link, and on the website are links to the calendar and a .pdf of the schedule.
http://www.vegasexperience.com/

So the (MY!) schedule as it stands as of today (03-24-09) is
-depart Thursday morning, around 10 AM (with appx 1/2 hour - 1 hour leeway towards a later departure time, if needed, which would change the arrival/departure times accordingly)
-arrive Barstow 11:20 AM, have lunch and get gas
-depart Barstow 12:05 PM
-arrive Baker 1:05 PM, get gas
-depart Baker 1:20 PM
-arrive at the Las Vegas sign 2:45-3 PM (see below for location)
-depart the sign 3:15 PM
-arrive at the hotel at 3:30-3:45 PM

-Register at the hotel, unpack, register for STAR BQ & get the pins/t-shirts, see if the hotel has a jacuzzi, check out any vendors there
-depart hotel 5:30-6:00 PM (for Fremont St. Experience) BUT get gas first, maybe, probably.
-arrive Fremont St. parking garage
-Dinner at Fremont St. (see if they still have AWESOME shrimp cocktail at the 4 Queens!!!)
-Stay for Fremont Experience Light Show
-Mingle around & see the freaks
-depart Fremont St. 8:30 PM
-arrive hotel 8:50 PM
-Futz around hotel until lights out @ 10-11 PM
(I'm probably gonna go down to the pool and swim or something)

FRIDAY
-Wake up time 7-8 AM, coffee, shower, pack, decide if the Red Rock Canyon self-guided tour is doable
-Check out any vendors 9 AM
-If Red Rock Canyon ride is doable, attend briefing at 9:30 AM; otherwise continue with the shopping/vendor thing; decide where to have lunch. A suggestion made to me by one of my blog buds in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada was the Harley Davidson Cafe on the Strip. Must check that puppy out.
-check out at 11-12
-depart Las Vegas, yada, yada, yada with gas at Baker & Barstow
-Home by 5 PM-ish if we don't go on the ride: 6:30 PM if we do. Still before dark, which is at 7:10 PM, I believe.

any questions?

No comments: