Saturday, March 7, 2009

Nice ride to 'WARM' Palm Springs, the Oak Glen Hwy 79 loop and 'Have Pie, Will Travel'

I'd been checking the weather all week March 2-6 because the club was going to Tehachapi, and I just DON'T do that well when temps are below 48 degrees. (see below, in red) On Friday, the projected temp in Tehachapi at 12:30 PM on Saturday was 45 degrees. Taking into account the mtn roads (Hwy 2 aka Angeles Crest Hwy and Angeles Forest Hwy) that would be in shadow in the morning, plus factoring in the wind chill, IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. Not this time, maybe some other time, but not now.

I will mention a funny that happened at the club meeting this morning before they took off - one of the new people riding with the group today named Mike, well, we know each other from my work, so I welcomed him to the fold. We didn't know each other rode, so I was telling him about my stuffed animal 'Lamb Chop' who is usually firmly ensconced on the back of my bike, and when I have rides with the guys, they call me the "AB" (for some reason he knew exactly what the 'B' stood for, a-yup, he knows me) and I told him I call the guys my 'mutts'. He said that since they follow the Lambie Special, they should be called my "Muttons". I'm gonna GET you, Mike. Maybe splash some mud on that brand new 'Liner. Or some mint sauce.

Of course I had a backup ride planned, and as warm as possible compared to as COLD as the club ride was going to be. Lunch in Palm Springs at Tyler's was a great idea (thanks, Johney!) and then I thought the Oak Glen Loop would be a nice little side trip.
It was.

Just an aside-when I plan a ride, I go anal to the max, using the mapquest feature whereby I can add places to stop at or move them around and get mileage info, figure out total mileage plus potential stopping points for gauging gas consumption and fill-ups; figuring out when we leave, when we'll get to point A or B or C, what the mileage will be, where we'll need gas, AND figure out the TIMES we'll get to point A or B or C so that I can project the temperature and advise the guys what it'll be like and what to potentially wear. So far I've been ok, except I've been a tad wrong on the temps to the colder side; in other words, it's been a bit colder than I had expected on the last three of my guy group rides. I do send the riders a list of where we'll be, projected times and temps, but sometimes with the wind chill and stuff, 55 degrees can feel like 50. I HAVE pretty much been on the money regarding rain and general weather-type stuff, just a little off on the cold factor. The previous Tehachapi ride that the club went on in October '07 was our 2nd ride with the club and I was TOTALLY UNPREPARED for that ride re: clothing and cold weather gear. I DIDN'T have chaps, I DIDN'T have a windscreen on my bike, I DIDN'T have a great jacket, I DIDN'T have that good of gloves (just had so-so gloves we bought in June '07 with the bikes), I DIDN'T have a balaclava or even one of those soft thermal neck gaiters. I wore jeans with pantyhose & a couple of layers under a iffy jacket.

I FROZE MY BUTT OFF-I was so cold going up Hwy 2 to Tehachapi that it took me 1 1/2 hours to defrost with 400 cups of coffee. My neck hurt from tightly shivering (if you've been cold on a bike or skiing or anything, you know what I mean). I will NEVER forget that ride, so if I'm unsure of the weather or the temp, I wear extra or bring extra, and I've never been sorry since, except maybe for this past January ride from Temecula to Pala via Warner Springs and Lake Henshaw, when I tried out my new half helmet... THAT ride was kinda cold.
Left the group meeting & Bub and I met up with Johney Harper 9:15 AM at Denny's in Brea. Had to leave a little late because my mirror was loose, so got it tightened more, then buzzed onto the 57 N to the 60 E to the 10 E to 111 S to Apato St. E (Or whatever that parking lot/street type thing is that's across from the statue of Sonny Bono) to Tyler's, which happened to be right across the street from Ruby's where we ate with the STAR Chapter 345 guys a few months back.

On the way I confirmed that MY bike's speedo is correct, because there was one of those digital speed thingys on the side of the 60 fwy that tells you how fast you are going, and since there was a car kind of next to us and slightly ahead, I reined in a tad from 70 MPH so that I could get an unhindered reading, and the speedy-thingy flashed '68', which is EXACTLY what my speedo was on. So I AM dead on, and you guys that think I'm doing 80, well, I'M NOT. So there. But you know roadies always read 5 MPH higher than you're actually going. No? Well, I've been telling you that, and my bike's the newer of the mutts', so it's gotta be more correct, yes? YES. The AB has spoken. She Who Must Be Obeyed has spoken. Don't argue or I'll cry.

Johney led from the 10 down the 111 because he knew exactly where this place was AND knew where the cops hide on 111, so that was VERY COOL, PLUS he found the mostest bestest parking place ever. ALMOST right in front of Tyler's. See those beauteous bikes below and right? So shiny, so pretty, the one in front is of course mine, the one to the back left with the red tank is Barry's, and the bling-bling chromed up fancy one is Johney's. Mine is a V-Star 650 , Bub's is a V-Star 1100, and Johney's is a RoadStar 1600. So the AB is riding a bike that's about one-half and one-third the size of the other bikes.
Just a little side thought-You know what I like about parking with a bike or two or three in one parking place? Cars think there's a place, they zoom over to grab it, only to see our bikes. I could just sit in a coffee place right by my bike in a spot and watch their faces ALL DAY. I'm evil, I know.
He warned us that we had to get there RIGHT when they opened up at 11 or else we'd have to wait, so we were, like, the 3rd set of people there about 10 minutes before they opened up. I won't say we had great luck because we usually make our own luck on these trips, so it was more like great planning on everybody's part. Good planning from Johney for the destinication (yeah, I spelled it that way on a-purpose) and lunch idea, good planning on my part for ensuring the correct route, temps and times where we were, and good planning on Barry's part for going along with whatever I planned. When I mapquested the route, I noted that the time would be about 1 hour and 29 minute trip. Yeah, right, the way I RIDE? HA! We left Brea at 9:35-ish and got to Tyler's at 10:50 AM. I consider a good cruise at around 75-80 MPH, and as long as people are passing us on the left and we're passing people on the right, it's all good, shouldn't have to worry that much about CHPs. I sit up SO STRAIGHT so people in front of me tend to slow down because they think I'm a cop. Barry's the same way-he looks just like a cop when he's behind me. Heh-heh-heh.
We parked, walked over, sat down, and Mr. Gourmet suggested the potato salad and the chili. Bub and I split the potato salad, chili and a burger. The potato salad came in a big dish and it was fine for both of us. The chili was pretty damn good also, had NO beans & chunks of meat.
Tyler's is owned by Diana Diamico, a really great and absolutely gorgeous lady. Johney knows her from 'way back. To the left is Johney, Diana and Barry.
DID YOU KNOW: that the building that Tyler's is in used to be the Greyhound Depot back in the day, and that paved area was all dirt? Wish I could've gotten a pic of the inside of the place, but I can't remember everything.

The picture at the right I have partly captioned, "I don't care about any of that picture shit, just lemme do some serious damage to this 'tater salad"
and partly captioned, "How much of this do you want, honey? Half? or more?"
It's a pretty big portion, isn't it?!

We were almost done eating at 11:30 AM and people were starting to put their name on a waiting list; that's how good that place is and how crowded.
We left and walked down towards the bikes at 11:40, and more people were lined up.
Since Barry and I had gotten pins on the previous ride there with 345, Johney wanted one too, so we went to the General Store at 188 N. Palm Canyon Drive (owned by Aimee and Steve, but Bill was the one we had seen before and saw today again) and JH got hisself a pin like ours. Bill was nice enough (shhhh!) to let me use his facilities, and I left my damn phone in the bathroom there. I felt really dumb, but Johney offered to get it for me when he goes out that way on Monday. What a great friend. No wonder they call him "The Wrench", because he really offers himself to help in any way possible to almost anyone with the tools at his disposal, namely his generosity and his genuine love for his fellow man.

I had a terrible, evil thought (I don't have any other kind, come to think about it) when we were walking back to the bikes-with Barry in leather chaps and leather jacket, slim, well-groomed, looking like a rich older man, I was thinking, "Hey, he's lucky he hasn't been hit on yet today".

While walking back from the General Store, saw a burger joint called "Grill-A-Burger" with a gorilla mascot. I had to have a pic of myself and the gorilla. Notice I'm touching his 'banana'.
When we were walking back to the bikes at noon, MORE people were REALLY lined up at Tyler's! Just look at that lineup on the left, 1/2 hour after we left Tyler's!
Got on our metal steeds and I pushed Johney into the lead to set the pace (since he knows again where the cops are on 111) and he led for 2/3 of the way to Hwy 79/Beaumont, the Oak Glen turnoff. I mention this because it was very very nice to be in the back-back and just to kick back. It felt great.

Got off the 10 freeway and took Beaumont Blvd. up to where it turns into Oak Glen Road. Stopped at Los Rios Rancho (I think that was it's name) and looked around. It was there that I realized I didn't have my cell phone. We couldn't get coverage there so we were going to wait until we got back down farther and call Bill at the General Store in Palm Springs.

Saw some of those puppet stuffed animals, and since I didn't have Lambie on my bike, thought I should maybe get a replacement for when she gets a bath (in Woolite, of course!). Thought maybe a skunk would be good, you DON'T want to know why. To the right below, a coupla old farts at Los Rios Rancho.

Went on a little farther to Parrish Farms where 230 had stopped for lunch on this same ride (sans the Palm Springs stop) in November '07. That was our 3rd ride with them back and the club is going back there November 7 this year. I was looking for a pie to take back to my office partner Richard, but they didn't have any in the case! It turned out ok...keep reading.

The guys had pie, I had apple crisp, really good. The restaurant, Apple Dumplin's was just bought by John & Melissa Malone, very gracious hosts, and have lunches, catering, banquets, weddings, etc. available. http://www.appledumplinweddings.com/

When 230 is coming back is the best time I know because it's fall, the trees are turning, the apples are harvested, good times. I remember the previous ride, the leaves were falling all around us, swirling on the ground whenever the bikes would cruise through them, just rippling away from us when we'd go by like a pond ripples when a stone is thrown.

ANYWAY, I saw John the owner come out with 3 beautiful, freshly baked, smell-so-good-you-could-almost-touch-the-aroma apple pies, and I told him "I WANT ONE OF THOSE!!" He said, "Sure, but how are you going to get it back?" I told him about the bungee holder thingy for the back of my bike that I bought in Temecula. IT WORKED GREAT. That freakin' pie didn't MOVE one iota on the way back, around curves, 70-80 MPH on the 10 freeway, NO HOW, NO WAY, it DID NOT MOVE. That is one great little gimmick, rat there.

To the left, the pie 'before'. Below, the pie, 'after'. I kid you not-it rode great. Decided that the 10 would work to get home, I knew from my mapquesting that it'd take about 1 hour according to them (again, YEAH RIGHT, just consider who's leading), so I eased it into 70-75 (with maybe a few 'pushes' to 80, depending on the traffic-sometimes faster IS safer) and cruised back home, 48 minutes Yucaipa to Brea, back around 3:30-ish.

The following is something that I wrote to a friend, describing how I feel about riding. I thought it was pretty good so I'm including it here as well.

The act of riding gets in my blood and fires it up like a bellows fires up a furnace. It's like a controlled adrenaline-rush for me, like skiing, sailing, waterskiing. I love it. I smile, I grin, I practically wiggle with delight when I get on my bike and roar away. (I never just 'ride' away, I have to 'roar' away. Silly me, giving in to the 'Look at me! Hey, look at me! I'm on my bike and feel wonderful' childish part of my being.) I love being in control of this metal machine that with every mile more and more becomes a part of me so that I almost feel like half woman, half engine and wheels. The bike and I are one and together. We move together, turn together, we almost think alike. I barely have to move it and it feels like it moves where I want us to go on its own with just my tiny suggestive touch. I love the curves, the scenery, the roar of my pipes when I come out of a curve or accelerate on the freeway (and I do notice Barry or Johney decelerate when we go by cops, poor things, they can't let it all hang out whereas I, I have...STOCK PIPES.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the 'Ode to riding'!!! Ahhh, made me wanna get on the bike with ya sis!!! Never got to in OC last month... :( bummer. How many more days until your 'DOUBLE NICKLE'?? Luv ya, T