Monday, July 5, 2010

Tip Top Restaurant Carlsbad Trip on a holiday Monday 7-5-2010 with the usual gang of misfits (except Minita and Luis-they're NOT misfits!)

It started out GREAT...
I woke the hell up late, at 7:19 AM and the meetup time 8 AM at Starbucks by Best Buy on Chapman. GREAT.
Can you say, "Lightspeed"?
Luckily I had just washed all my stuff from the Mt. Pinos trip and it was still folded on the dryer so I just grabbed it all and started throwing clothing on, then realized I had taken a bath the night before and went to bed with my hair all wet.
So I had to stick my head under the faucet and blowdry my hair.
Bub, that saintly person that he is, moved my car and started my bike. I don't deserve such a kind, thoughtful man.
Know what else he did? He texted Johney and told him that I was on my way but going to be a tad late, would they wait for me? Johney replied with a resounding, "No".
He then said he was kidding, yeah, they'd wait.
I was (as usual) debating on 3 layers or 4, chaps or none, thermal t-neck/socks or no... I chose WISELY. Thermal T-neck, thermal socks, high boots (the ones I use for horseback riding), sweater w/hoodie, zipup aerobic jacket and my MC jacket. Again, luckily my passport purse was all together so I just had to throw in some money, put it around my neck with the camera, phone inside pocket, GO.
I left at 7:45, got there DEAD ON 8 AM.

We were waiting a bit because Johney called Luis, Minita and Pedro, and they got there around 8:15 or so, so we left at 8:19 AM.
Oh, yeah, I forgot. Guess who lead the pack? The AB is back in the saddle.
John R. and Johney asked me if I knew where we were going, and I pretended not to know..."uh, Ojai? Ventura?" John R. got exasperated and said no, Palomar Airport Road in Carlsbad. (Of COURSE I knew, I made sure I looked it up last night because I have it saved on Mapquest!) So they said for me to lead.
K. I was nervous because I don't think I've lead with John R. as TG, don't remember, just hoped I didn't screw up.
Nobody said it was supposed to RAIN, though. Ok, John R. said a foggy mist, but when drops hit the visor and stream down, plus you can't see a 'dry' track in your lane, PLUS the cars on the other side have their windshield wipers going, that TO ME is rain. We hit spots of rain suddenly, kinda cold rain, so I slowed down from my 75-80 to 70 and got into the 2nd lane. I appreciate the confidence that all the riders have for me, I really do. I guess I didn't let them down, I was told I did a good job. Hoped I did, I kept it steady speeds, when I noticed that the other side cars had their wipers going, I slowed it down and got over to the #2 lane.
We were supposed to hook up with Wayne around El Toro Rd, and John R. told me before we left that I didn't have to go over and go slow, he'd pick him up and they'd come up to us. Problem is, the independent riders in the group didn't know that so they went over 4 lanes and all of a sudden I'm looking behind me and everybody's over except for me.
I thought that everybody was supposed to follow me, you know, like 'into the jaws rode the four hundred' and that stuff?
We have too many independent thinkers around here, which is still ok anyway because of the Palomar Airport Road which came up a bit more suddenly than I thought, so the guys in the back went over.
(Guys, just kidding, you can think independently any time anywhere if I'm leading, because I appreciate it-Johney can usually read my mind, even from 7 bikes back and pretty much know when I'm gonna do something about the same time I do it. EXCEPT why did the back end guys get into the car pool lane when it opened up going north on the 5? I mean, I was debating it, but decided not to since  I looked WAY ahead and noticed that they both seemed to be going about the same and since I make the trip 3X a month, I know that the carpool lane goes slower than the regular traffic, so those that stayed with me left those in the carpool lane in the dust. )

No comments: