Saturday, November 8, 2008

Chapter 345 Ride to Palm Springs 11-08-2008

No, it's not the holidays...YET. Didn't realize we had dressed 'way ahead of time for the holiday party! I guess Barry & Gregg emailed each other with the, "What are you gonna wear?" "No, what are YOU gonna wear?" questions and ended up coming dressed alike. Luckily Keith decided not to go with that color scheme. The 3 'Joe Cools' are to the left.
I MISSED you, Stacy! It was really neat shopping!!!
Ahem, to continue...
STAR Chapter 345's ride took us to Palm Springs downtown for lunch at Ruby's Diner and shopping. Nice ride. Haven't been around Palm Springs since I don't know when. Neat shopping, got the ubiquitous vest pins, (my right shoulder is KILLING me because of the weight of all those suckers!!) a cute Palm Springs T-shirt for Her Royal Jax-ness (so MAYBE she'll give me my Cook's Corner 'Ladies Who Ride' tank top back), and a book for 25 cents (the library was having a sale; 25 cents for paperbacks, $1 for hard covers-I bought 'The Hunt for Red October'.).
Really perfect weather. About 65 degrees when Bub & I left Brea at 8:15 AM, about 70 degrees when we left Union 76 Station in Norco/Corona at 9:00 AM, about 80 degrees in Palm Springs when we arrived around 10:30 AM, and wasn't more than 85 degrees after b'fast/lunch at Ruby's Diner on Palm Canyon Dr. Had 5 groups of 6-7 riders each.
Took the 91 E to the 60 E, met up with the 10 E, off at Palm Canyon/111, down Palm Canyon.
Went right down the main drag, Palm Canyon with all the bikes. You could just SEE the fear in some of those, um, more 'mature' folks' eyes. Good thing you couldn't smell it.

The Plaza Theater has a couple of shows that all feature performers are over 65, I believe. One of the showgirls is 84. I want her plastic surgeon's name.

One of the cutesy shops was "Cold Nose, Warm Heart" shop for (mostly) dogs but they had a cat corner as well. Ick. Below is a picture of one of the really neat things they sell-it's saddlebags for dogs!!!





























The guys are waiting for the girls...we gotta go into EVERY door and check stuff out. They look SO bored....heh,heh,heh. We get them run ragged, get 'em so tired and then they throw up their hands and say, "Go ahead, BUY IT ALREADY!" thereby giving us carte blanche to spend more money.
There's madness to our method, guys.

Bub's posing with Sonny Bono. You remember him, right? You don't? He was the short dweebish half of "Sonny & Cher", was Mayor of Palm Springs and a US Representative before his life was tragically cut short by a killer Nevada tree that sprang up in front on him when he was skiing. (those trees are cousins to the killer Colorado trees)
Mannequins are posed in some of the quaint shops, as the 'Walter' below and the 'Hula Howard' over to the right.









This is the proper way for ladies to wear all of the pins. I cornered her in the ladies' restroom at Ruby's and REFUSED to let her go around me until I took my pic.
Palms Springs has always had the best flowers - check out the bouganvilla at the left.
Back at Chuy's is Greg, Keith and Lina Limbaugh. Greg and Keith are brothers. I don't see it.... do you?

If you look closely, you can see how many pitchers are on the table, and Mr. Shapiro leaning back. Add it up.




By the way, my email address is AquaInst1@aol.com, if you want to get ahold of me and share phone numbers. Just put who you are and your relationship to what STAR club or how I know you into the 'Subject' area.

No comments: