Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"Ladies Who Ride" Fundraiser at Cook's 7-20-08

In honor of the fundraiser, since Shari Lewis died of cancer, and this was a cancer fundraiser, Bub put something that I've had for quite a few months but I had never figured how to put it on my bike without a rack or sissy bar. He FOUND a way and so I have my new 'mascot'. When I find an old "Biker Barbie" with a leather jacket, I'm gonna rip it offa that doll and Lambie will have some threads!! CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE



The fundraiser was...interesting.

The flyer was a tiny bit off in that you had to go to Fullerton Harley to sign up and register to get the T-shirt and the goodie bag, and ride with the group. There was a special area back of Cook's for the group riders. (I talked the registration ladies into accepting a check from me at the site and getting those items-see below)
I REALLY kinda didn't want to go to Fullerton Harley (being that I ride a Yamaha) and thought Bub and I could go straight to Cook's.

On the way we saw a 'motor' (motorcycle cop) at a gas station, and I thought, oh boy, he's gonna nail riders on the way! Turns out he was waiting for the Fullerton Harley group and led them the rest of the way to Cook's. Now THAT was a classy move by the event organizers. Very cool.
We got there about 11:10 AM and there was already a TON of bikes there-the usual mix of sport bikes and cruisers, but also folks who had the same idea we did. The picture is taken from about 1/4 mile DOWN THE STREET, because there was NO WAY there was any more room in front of Cook's, and more were arriving and parked even further down the street than us. It kinda bugged me that on the Cook's side that a sign was posted "No parking this side" but people started parking there anyway.



We walked up, found the registration, got the lowdown on registration and I waited for the group to sail in so I could get my stuff after the registered folks did, and ended up doing just that. I have NEVER seen so many 'tats' nor so much leather in a long time! We hit the vendors' tents and were basically done by 12 Noon. The Avon lady is (believe it or not) 70 years old. That Avon stuff certainly worked for her!! The BBQ was supposed to start around 1 PM, contests at around 2, and we decided not to wait, so we left and gave our meal ticket to a photojournalist who brought her Siberian exchange student with her, so that worked out nicely. Below, the CUTEST dog on his very own bike!!! AND he was riding it!


Lunch at Tommy Pastrami in La Habra-really good food!










All in all, a nice ride for a great cause.

No comments: