Tuesday, August 5, 2008

STAR Chapter 230 August 2nd Ride to the Gene Autry American West Museum

BLOG IN PROGRESS...Please stay tuned to this station for further updates... and YES, I know, a lot of the pictures are out of sequence and have no descriptions, it'll be updated and they're coming, trust me, THEY'RE COMING!!!...

The facts, Ma'am, just the facts...
35 mile ride, but it was 35 miles ONE WAY; for some reason I ended up with 123 from Orange to LA to home. Weird. Good news is, I got 57.23 MPG!!! Whoo-hoo!
9:15 AM kickstands up, kinda late, but it was a short ride, so what the heck. 2 Groups-Group 1 with Dan as leader, Group 2 with Bob Barbano as Exalted High Poobah On Wheels Riding a GoldWing (oh, the humanity! The SHAME!) and Tony Barbano as Wing. Even the BEST group has to have a black sheep.
Admission to the Museum is usually $9 for people and $5 for seniors, and if I'm intimating that seniors aren't people, well, you're not far wrong. My other thought is that I feel seniors should be at least 55 1/2 years of age. We lucked out-the supervisor or whoever there let us ALL in for free!
The Museum was amazing, especially the 'Gun Room' (it's actually called the Colt Firearms Gallery) and the 'Beverage Girl Room' (aka Saloon). Not a whole lot of time for shopping, so I hit the gift shop first for some pins vs. 'buttons, which they were giving away. I wish they had referenced 'buttons' in the email to me, because I was thinking, "Pins? Pins for FREE? oh, YEAH!". But 'twas not to be.
Lunch at Shaker's, the same place Riverside Chapter 345 hit for lunch a few months' back. The staff at the restaurant didn't hold it against us-apparently they blocked out the Riverside riders' visit and welcomed us anyway.
Home to El Torito about 2:35 PM. Time enough to go home and have a nap.

NOW, the pictures and a more detailed 'blow by blow'.

The early morning line-up of bikes at Best Buy, where, by the way, Barry works (at the Fullerton store, not Orange)

Pre-ride chat. Dan gave recap of STAR Days and the more interesting events occuring, like Mr. Turtle the Speed Bump. With him is Secretary Ken Indorf, Helen, himself, Sgt. at Arms (or rather, Sgt. at MOUTH) Glen Sandburg, and VP Terry Bishop. Below is Junior Barbano and Taz. Taz couldn't go on the ride this time; DUH.
Below that is Rick Sherrill in the Sherrill-Mobile. I PERSONALLY call it a roller skate or mousetrap. Yeah, he'd need the helmet in a crash-once the airbag goes off, he'll be hurled through the back window.

Gail Indorf below, came back after a 3-4 month hiatus due to rotator-cuff surgery. Welcome back, Princess!!!
We arrived en masse at the Autry, after both groups take a bit of a wrong turn and have to double back.





















This is the entrance.

There are about 11 separate rooms to the Museum, with different memorabilia and themes. We tried to hit them all, but only managed the George Montgomery Gallery; Showcase Gallery; Romance Gallery; Imagination Gallery (movie memorabilia); Conquest Gallery; Opportunity Gallery; Trails West Gallery; Family Discovery Gallery (where the Saloon was!); Cowboy Gallery; Colt Firearms Gallery (there was no WAY I was gonna miss THAT one!!!); and kinda just walked through the Community Gallery which highlighted the religious aspect of the Los Angeles area. Not my bag, really, and NO photography AT ALL allowed. I think 30 seconds in there was enough.
This month's theme was "Cowboys and Presidents". I didn't take too many pics in this gallery, but one pic I just COULDN'T resist, below.



The first themed room we actually went into was THE GIFT SHOP for pins!!! The second was the George Montgomery Gallery, then the others. The Autry has tours about every hour on the hour or so, all free and led by VERY knowledgable Docents.

A bit of information I found out:
-There is NO SMOKING anywhere on the grounds of the Autry.
-Flash photography is not allowed in the galleries, so I had to set my camera to the highest ISO and go with that. I still had to 'filter' the pics thru my picture editor, but I don't think they came out so bad, huh?!


As usual, I concentrate on the more 'interesting' things to me, like the costumes and accessories. I've tried to take pictures of the exhibits and then put the description and history of that item, but sometimes the pictures have a life of their own, so sorry if they're off a little.
No that's not a real horsie-I just wanted to remember how to get on one and compare it to riding a MC. Not much difference, still lots of inner thigh work. Check out the old-time floor radio in this exhibit! OOH, YEAH...the GUN ROOM.
Check out the old-time muskets. Above, the Beverage Gi...I mean, the Saloon.

Ok, so THAT'S why it's always good to be in the 1st group!! THEY get first dibs on the shade!!!
At the restaurant.
Tommy Low-Life (oopsie, sorry, Tommy TwoTone) and Joe pull up/back in to a CHOICE place which I happened to pick out. And Barry getting ready to take off.














Back at El Torito, I canNOT believe how great Gail looks!! I hate her. (Just kidding, Gailster)

Stacy and Keith Linbaugh get voted into the Chapter. Keith just barely got any votes, but Stacy made up for it...if it wasn't for we girls, you guys would NEVER make it in. (hmmm, maybe we should just have an LOS Chapter ONLY!!)















No comments: