Sunday, December 20, 2009

A weekend of riding and shopping ..."These are a few of my fav'rite things..."


Combine perfect riding weather and the 'need' for more stuff for the bikes, and you have a motorshopping weekend event.
Saturday, No Pork and now Sunday going to San Pedro/Port's O'Call and probably a few other places since I gave my chaps to my sis in law and my vest to my bro in law. (Oh, yeah, I need aerobic tennies too.)
Bub said 'let's take a run out to No Pork for some pegs' and we let a friend know. That turned into two friends then three friends, so we met Chuck at Starbucks in Brea (yeah, WHICH one, Lynne?! There are only, oh, SIX now...) then toodled on over to Richard's place where Stan was waiting also.
We were nasty. We were mean and nasty scofflaws. We ACTUALLY ONLY SLOWED THROUGH STOPSIGNS INSTEAD OF FULLY STOPPING. I love pushing the rules.
<Ahem>
Anyway, we took a scenic back route to the 91 which worked out ok because I would glance at the 91 when we came close and noticed that OF COURSE the damn thing was going slower than all get out, but we got on at Gypsum Canyon and Richard led us to 2nd Street where Stan took over.
(Ok, this IS sarcasm, kinda) I mostly bought out the place (No Pork). Now, repeat the following to the tune of 'On The First Day Of Christmas My True Love Gave To Me'...
20 screw-in pinbacks, another spider bungee, 5 bikers shopping, 4 fleecy jackets, 3 pieces of advice, 2 No Pork T shirts, and a leather tank protector ordered. Below, Barry reacting to Brian telling him that new tires will cost around $600 for whitewalls. PSYCH!! Just kidding. Bub wants Bridgestones but PERSONALLY, I think Dunlop would be ok, but you know Barry-a manly man whose opinions I CANNOT change on certain things. I gotta hand it to Barry and the guys for getting EVERYTHING (except the leather tank thingy) into his two saddlebags! BUT they had everything stuffed so much that there wasn't room for the spider bungee, so my little tank bag had to take that. Luckily the tank bag 'telescopes' up.
A bargain-hunting celebration lunch at Miguel's was then had by all and a victory picture, with thanks to Richard for taking it. (No, Joe, not a Victory picture, a victory picture! We all went our separate ways and Bub and I went the back way towards Brea, but NOT without stopping at a really nice place for pie and coffee. You know the place...on the back way between Norco and Brea? Hmmm, off Merrill and Euclid? Hmmm, RIGHT BY AN AIRPORT??

Today (Sunday the 20th) will be a trip to San Pedro then some shopping for me for chaps and tennies.
Highs in the low-mid 70's, PERFECT. We gave 2 of those fleecy jackets to Ted and Rhoda, and they LOVED THEM. Bub's wearing his today. Thanks, NO PORK Boutique!!! Lemme know when you get some No Pork halter tops in, Lynn...
10:30 AM Sunday Dec. 20th 2009
I ZOOM home from class, blow dry my wet sweaty hair (I figure that since we'll be on the road, the smell won't be too bad), jump into my riding gear, CHECK Sigalert.com and weather.com (anal, anal, ANAL).
CRAP, CRAP, CRAP-so we're getting ready to go, Ted & Rhoda on their trike and Eric & Michelle on the Suzuki cruiser (I think it's a suzuki, don't really care right now), and Eric all of a sudden loses the use of his clutch.

Ok, we're off, Eric and Michelle followed us in their car.
Port's o' Call is, well, kind of a shadow of its former heyday. Disappointing.
To the left is what MY bike feels like after riding Barry's! To the above right, well, do you notice where the trike is in relation to the handicapped parking sign? Hmmm...



What came next was a bit of a surprise-Lunch! Well, not the actual fact of lunch, but ROSCOE'S in Long Beach lunch!
To the above right, going over the Vincent Thomas Bridge.



Next stop, Cycle Gear to see if we can get some chaps for me. No go, tried on some, enh.
A friend of ours, Johney, suggested Lifestyle Cycles, so since it's right down the street, we went on the day that they were having their Christmas Harley bash with free food and beer. No, I didn't eat and drink, I was too busy feeling weird about having a Yamaha in a Harley parking lot. I also realized that I was taking my life in my hands wearing a No Pork t-shirt into a Harley place! Sometimes I amaze myself with stupidity.
I did get me some CHAPS. NICE CHAPS. Below. Had to take the pic of the chaps with the No Pork t-shirt. I think I'm getting bow-legged from my bike.



Next and last stop, Bub's work for his schedule and to schmooze with the folks and for me to use the facilities. (you know, 650? Light bike? Lotsa vibration? YEAH, you got it)
An awesome day, beautiful, see pics, I lucked out. PLUS Bub got 39 MPG on Saturday and 43 on Sunday. I got 52 and 60, BELIEVE it or not. I did the math twice.

No comments: