Monday, June 9, 2008

Trains, Sunday's Ride to Alta Loma, more Trains, and Carbon Canyon (and the headlight FINALLY gets fixed due to the kindness of a friend!)

Our friend Johney gave us a flyer for the home of Jim and Vicki Jackson that had the most AMAZING train set-ups (see pics!) so we were going to do some Carbon Canyon/La Habra Heights/Hacienda Heights action. That damn headlight was bugging me, so we went to lunch then rode up to the train house.
The grounds are absolutely beautiful and you find trains EVERYWHERE. The attention to detail of the layouts is amazing, from an Airstream trailer to a bear in the mountains to a greenhouse to guys workin' a still! I'm using some of my pics, and some of Johney's pics that he sent me because you need as many as possible to capture the entirety of the property and the variety of trains, set-ups and details. Unfortunately, in video above, I was filming and somebody didn't realize that I was, so they kinda got in the way-you can hear my #$%^&@#* comments. One of the first things we noticed was that the owners had a train running underneath the patio cover! You know a guy is nuts about trains when he has a train weather vane! The bear that came over the mountain is below.




I loved the Airstream trailer, the greenhouse below, and there were gates that looked like a small town, left. Those are actually gates that open up, and if you look closely, you can see the gate latches between the Mercantile and Jail. Below you can see the video of the USMC Troop Train, and (booo!) a Harley Dealership. Also included are some videos I did of some of the trains be-bopping around the property. Everywhere we went there were more and more surprises around the property. I caught some video of the Marine Corps troop train, below.








Notice the town detail-the storefronts, the gazebo in the park, the cars. The video below shows how painstakingly careful these trains are set up.
Below is even a "Perils of Pauline" lady tied to the tracks while a locomotive bears down on her.














Check out the detail again in the videos when this train passes by, above left. Below a close-up of the guys working their still, and I also loved the "cowboy's logic". A lynching party has always been in the back of my mind as a potential solution society's ills such as politicians. Johney, Jim and Barry talk about how Jim has EVERYTHING wired to be controlled from that little shed behind them and in fact has a wireless remote control. Jim is working on putting more trains on track and handling them like they were a newborn baby. Um, regarding the sign below-where do I sign up? I mean, I can shoot straight! (but I don't cook...or clean...and I only do Windows if they're on a PC)We regretfully (well, at least ME) left Alta Loma (and I was NOT EITHER doing 90 around the 210/57 curve, no matter WHAT Bub says, but I will say that I wish I was wearing one of my aerobic-type, um, upper body underthings for the bouncing around I was getting! Or maybe even a corset) and did the Carbon Canyon twisty thingy then Johney very graciously offered to try to, no, sorry, to FIX the headlight using his as a model, so the 3 of us went to his home. He fixed it in 10 minutes. Wish I was that handy with a screwdriver and some pliers so I wouldn't need men. Someday, someway, I'll sign up for the motorcycle and automotive maintenance course, especially now that my nails are really short. Plus that basic electrical course. Plus that Notary course...
All in all (boy does THAT sound trite!) a wonderful ride & great ending to a day that started out cloudy (my mood, not the weather).

1 comment:

Richard said...

This back yard train set is phenomenal to say the least. Lots of good pictures and the video helps, wish they were longer. Excellent job of putting it all together.