Monday, June 30, 2008

The Korean Friendship Bell in Angel's Gate Park, San Pedro CA. Sunday June 29th, 2008

Kind of a quickie-chickie short (less than 3 hours!) trip that's perfect for the Sunday outings, since the outings rarely start before 1:30 PM anyway.
This one I had had in the back of my mind for awhile-I was going to go it alone one Sunday, but opted that particular weekend to do Orange County/Coast Hwy-and the guys said it'd be pretty good.

THE ROUTE: 57 S to the 22 W=405 N, off at 7Th street then off to Studebaker Road left to Westminster/2nd Street through Belmont Shore, Belmont Heights, downtown Long Beach, over the Terminal Island Bridge then over the Vincent Thomas Bridge to Harbor Blvd. Bub thought we were going to Ports O' Call, but that area's kinda tacky now. Harbor Blvd to 7th Street to Gaffey all the way down towards the sea. Angel's Gate Park is on the Fort MacArthur property and it's a quick right in the park-it's very easy to miss if you're not looking for it!

Just below the bluff where the Korean Friendship Bell sits is Point Fermin park and the Point Fermin lighthouse. I wanted to walk down but the guys overruled me-seems they didn't want to walk back up. The wusses.
BTW, a lot of these pictures are courtesy of Mr. Johney Harper, our partner and crime and one of the Three Musketeers. Just want to give credit where credit is due and make his mom proud, since HE'S SENDING THIS TO HER. (Hi, Mrs. Harper!! LS)

Below, we get our usual GREAT parking spot right in front, nice park job, you can see Bub's bike, then mine, and you can't miss Johney's chrome bling. Bub has to light up a smoke & I'm getting all the stuff I need for the tank bag/back pack. Plus pinning my hair back because it was windier than all getout. The guys were saying that yes, they know I sometimes take extra time to get off the bike, then set up and get ready to ride, but they SAY they're gentlemen, they'd never go off and leave me. Why? Because I'd never let Bub hear the end of it and I'd kill Johney. Simple enough, to me.



Above right, the guys approaching the grounds, which were immaculate. Below, the Friendship Bell plaque and these two CUTE wooden statues! (I use the word 'cute' a lot because it so PLAINLY annoys some of my readers-you hear that, Stan?)


Above, the view of Palos Verdes from the Bell. A perfect day, weather-wise.

Below, the 3 Musketeers and the hell with my hair. (I'm wearing my grungy old faded too-big jeans because everything else was in the wash/hamper)















Here's a video of a 360 degree view from the Bell. The sound you hear is the wind-I told you it was windy!


Mr. Harper at the Bell. He wanted to ring it, or gong it, or whatever it is that they do to make a sound.

We drove the bikes approximately 100 yards to Point Fermin park and walked the grounds. (I CAN'T believe we rode our stupid bikes 100 yards down the hill) Below is the Point Fermin Lighthouse; tours are available.
We looked over the edge of the railing at the park and couldn't believe how fast the windsurfers were going! I'd love to give that a go.
Can't believe how much Long Beach/Terminal Island has changed-no more Naval Base, it's all container storage and stuff. Really commercial and in my mind, kind of ugly. Is this the price of progress? If so, I'm moving to the country and living off the land. As long as there's a Taco Bell around, and I can get Verizon wireless access...you know, the bare minimums to exist.











PS: Message from Johney:
"Hi, Mom!"
PPS: Don't forget, ANYONE who reads this blog (and let me tell you, there are only a chosen few who I care to 'allow' to read this tripe) may and are encouraged to leave comments, suggestions for improvement, 'attaboys' here on the blog. I love comments! (shows you care!)
Lynne

No comments: