Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I just signed up for my clinical EMT 'ridealongs'.


My 'shift' will be 10 AM - 10 PM on two Mondays. I report to CARE Ambulance http://www.careambulance.net/ (a VERY tightly run, well-thought of company, very professional, expecting and getting only the best personnel and giving the best service around) about 1/2 hour prior, get my assignment to a station, then get practical experience riding on an ambulance with EMT's/paramedics. One of our substitute instructors for my class is the Ops Manager of CARE, great teacher, great guy, learned a LOT from him.

Before I called, I made a list of the days/dates I could do my clinicals, so I had an idea of my preferences in dates. Didn't want to schedule my ridealongs on school days because I'd mess up my lecture hours. I called the scheduler Lori at CARE and was able to get two of the slower days, thank goodness. I'm kinda apprehensive about this, because we're talking people's LIVES here. I feel confident that I'll do a good job and learn a LOT though, because I've dealt with quite a few illnesses with others and myself here and there in my life, so I just have to brush up on my initial assessments/general impressions/rapid trauma or medical assessments, yada, yada, yada. Plus don't even get me started on the PAPERWORK! Interviewing EMT's, getting their evaluation of me, patient assessments (at least 5 per clinical ridealong) plus filling out the prehospital documentation forms that are almost as daunting as a 1040 long form. (What am I saying? I LOVE the 1040's and additional forms involved!!!)

I have to wear a uniform, my badge, my shirt, blue or black pants, hard boots, hair up in a bun, take my blood pressure cuff and stethoscope, you know, the whole professional drill. Hmmm, gotta find a blue or black jacket too, because it'll be cold, I betcha. (just thinking out loud and outside the box, as usual)

I don't think I can take any pictures of the trucks or the guys or whatever, probably not even the front of the building. I can always ask, but maybe somebody can take my picture in front of one of the generic trucks, or maybe with the guys. Don't want to look 'touristy' or stupid, but since this class is a very important part of my life, I do want to document my travels through it.

No comments: