Saturday, May 15, 2010

Chapter 422 Pre-Ride Temecula via DeLuz, Sandia Creek 05-08-10

I really wanted to try to shake this 'sell my bike' funk so I wanted to see if I could at least make myself useful to a chapter I felt a great kinship with. I asked and was ok'd to go on their pre-ride and kinda TG train with their lead TailGunner Dan.
To me this was not only a chance to see how I would do as a tailgunner (with the 'pressure' OFF, I might add) but also to validate ANY skills I had as a rider. I was apprehensive about DeLuz Rd. The others didn't know it, really. We all know what significance DeLuz Road has, right? HINT: Sept. 11, 2009.
I respected Dan the lead TailGunner for 422 and his opinion highly, especially since he really didn't know me so didn't have any preconceptions. (He saw my riding at Skills Day, but that was my ego riding that day, with me telling myself that I'd show up all these other riders and not only get thru all the skills, but get thru 'em with STYLE. PLUS Sandstrom was there and I knew that if I would've screwed up, he would've NEVER let me forget it. I still wish we could have Skills Days every 3 months or so.)
To the left and below, at the first gas stop in Wildomar. On the left, Leonard and Colin are probably looking for the latest damage on my bike. At least, that's the only reason I can think of to look at a puny li'l 650.

When we hit Temecula, the interesting thing is that most everybody took their 'overgear' off. Didn't realize they had their riding pants on over their regular jeans, which meant when Leonard said 'back at 12:45', that meant back at 12:45 BUT we wouldn't be leaving until around 1:15 because everybody had to put all their gear back on. This was pretty cool because I'm usually the last one to be ready in whichever group I ride in for 230.

Interesting that when we were walking around, taking in the sights, we noticed a bunch of new construction going on behind Old Front Street. It was there that we found the Sweet Lumpy's BBQ and the street with TONS of parking on it. (see background in the picture above)
I guess I did ok on Ortega/DeLuz/Sandia Creek. I learned some interesting TG tricks, like when Dan does the 'squeezing' motion with his hand, that means secure the lane next to me so that no cars come up and ace the group out. It was kinda cool in that he as lead was the last rider on the left, but I was actually the last rider in the group; it felt pretty good. On twistys & when we were all single file, he was last rider which made sense because hje was on CB. That day, I felt 'on' with tailgunning & at the end of the pack, almost felt like Dan and I were a pair of cops, really in tune with riding. Weird. Usually I feel that good only with a couple of people, Barry of course being number uno.

This group is great in that they make STARBUCKS STOPS. (The renegade Lynne made a beeline to the 31 Flavors next to the Starbucks, though) To the left is Connie, Sissy, Colin, Mike, Stephen, Dan & Leonard, all watching Mike explain something about either basketball or babies.

Dan told me I'll make a fine TailGunner. Not I 'would' but I 'will'. That distinction in tense is crucial. Dan's the one in the dark glasses to the right. Connie looks SOOOO GGOOOODDD in that jacket!!!

I really really regret being sick and missing the actual ride today May 15th, but when I feel woozy even driving the car a few miles, riding a bike over Ortega then DeLuz and Sandia Creek Drive doesn't strike me as an intelligent thing to do. I try to be intelligent most of the time, and I try NOT to be sick most of the time. I should have worked out this past week, I should've taken my daily dose of 833% of Vitamin C this past week, I should NOT have worked OT this past week, I should NOT been stressed out work this past week...

Next month's 422 trip is Palomar. Another mental winner (NOT) for me.

Wonder if we'll go to Wrightwood/Angeles Crest ever, still ANOTHER mental winner (again, NOT) for me. Those two rides were the beginning of my doubts about my riding, and they were just before the time when I try to get back in the saddle and get my mojo working in September, Bub has his 'incident'.
I think I'd like to try to do all my old rides before hanging up my kickstand; Palomar, Wrightwood/Angeles Crest, Solvang, Palm Springs, Silverlake/Crestline, Big Bear, the ABAF's (you can read those as Ass Freezers or Ass Fryers) all those wonderfully fun trips from the past few years.

No comments: