Saturday, October 25, 2008

My work Halloween Dance-VERY cool.

A most satisfying Goodwill event. A great party!

Goodwill of Orange County had it's Halloween Costume Dinner Dance on Friday, October 24. Every year the decorations, the costumes, the activities get bigger and better and HUGE! Check out some of the decorations in the cafeteria! Two dances a year are held-Valentine's Day and Halloween, and everybody dresses up some way or another for them!
How do you like that spider in the tree? It's just a supportive pillar in the cafeteria and created branches with brown butcher paper.
Whenever Goodwill of Orange County (like, where I work, you know?) has a themed dinner dance for all , Bub and I usually do 'pin' pictures. I use a Polaroid camera (you know, the ones that take the color snapshot that comes out automatically and stuff??), then Barry usually cuts them out with a special circle cutter thingy, puts them into a round plastic pin for the folks. Usually only the two of us run it-we have a well developed system. It takes some practice to get the posers in the middle of the picture, because the outsides of the pictures will be cut out when the circle cutter thingy gets done, but I'm pretty good at it, good at posing people and, as I said, Bub & I have a system. We usually have a couple hundred people come through for pictures within a three hour window (6 pm to 9 pm), so we have to be efficient and we rarely take breaks. On the above right, let the picture taking begin! The backdrop is themed usually twice a year-for Valentine's Day or Halloween. This year I had an idea that they'd really like something unusual in the way of pictures and the usual pumpkins and hay bales backdrop. We had taken pics in years before with a backdrop of some pumpkins and hay bales, but something different was called for. I remembered that last Halloween Bub had gone to a party with Jackie as the Ghostrider, so with that same costume (which was only the half mask and hair- he had everything else!) I figured the folks would LOVE to have their pic taken with the Ghostrider! AND as another thought, how about with the Ghostrider and his motorcycle!!!??? Well, ok, MY bike, because mine was all black and a little scarier looking vs. his red and black one with the saddlebags. IT WORKED OUT UNBELIEVEABLY GREAT. Holy shit!!!

I'm setting up the photo prep table, where the photos get cut out and placed into pins. It was about 80 degrees back there and no fans. Barry was SO hot, every hour he'd take a 15 minute smoke break and try to get cooler. We had a sign that said, "Ghostrider will be back in 15 minutes-LET'S RIDE!" and people in line would stand impatiently around asking every 3 minutes, "When is he coming back? How long has it been?". We really tried to 'turn and burn' people through to have as many clients as possible get their pics. To the right, my set up and warning signs to no touchee my bikee!!! And here's what you've been waiting for...the GHOSTRIDER HIMSELF. (Do you notice I had to wrap Lambie in black vinyl?)
Ghostrider pointing at YOU. Everybody wanted their picture taken with the Ghostrider, and a select few of the employees and some of the 'clients' got to sit on the bike. It rocked.
I got to get really creative with some of the people. (There were some times when the Ghostrider didn't need to be in the picture.
Remember, I was taking Polaroids of everybody, so when I saw a 'specially good photo-op, I had to put the Polaroid camera down and grab my digital camera. I told people, "Wait a minute, that one didn't come out so great".

No comments: