Saturday, January 17, 2009

"Tommy's Ride" (sounds like a fundraiser for an incurable disease, doesn't it??!!)

Chino to Cajon Junction (138) to Silverwood Lake Rec. Area (we stopped at a vista point just past the cutoff to Silverwood) to Crestline (again, stopped at a vista point on the other side of the mountain to the Screaming Chicken (I thought it was a cafe) Saloon to The Hat in Rancho Cucamonga to Chaparral Motorsports (SHOPPING!!! YAY!!!) then back to the good 'ol OC (or Chino, if you're Eric or Tommy)

Of course, yours truly has everything figured out, from the mileage to the timing to the temperatures.

Barry and I met Richard and Johney at 8:15 at Denny's in Brea. Denny's is such a perfect place to meet up since it's right there off the freeway. central to everyone whenever we ride in the Inland Empire/San Gabriel area, and it's better for all because we live on the edge of Brea and La Habra and it's kinda stupid to double back towards the 57 when we can just meet there off the freeway and hope back on. We proceeded to Tommy's house in Chino. We left on the 60 E to the 15 N where we got blown with crosswinds wildly-the guys said I was LEANING and a couple of gusts caught me (sweeping left to right) and lifted my tankbag 1/2 off. That was a bit disconcerting, to say the least. Went up to the 138 offramp where we got gas. Some of the guys didn't need gas because they had larger tanks, but you never ever know when you're going to go off and do something else-like we did today.







Going on 138 towards Silverwood Lake was pretty nice, and I was alert for a vista point coming up or SOME kind of a turnout, so I saw one and pulled over. I was glad that Richard was thinking the same thing, he told me so, and I told him that he and I should plan rides together! Maybe even sell a booklet on easy/medium/challenging rides with times, places to eat, scenic points etc! That way we'd all have to do them so that we could report on them!

I'd like to know WHY somebody wants to frickin' take a picture of me walking over to the ledge...maybe a last glimpse? Did she fall or was she pushed??


Anyway, going past Silverwood to and in Crestline was BEAUTIFUL AND COLD. Probably around high 40's/low 50's. Road was a little wet and believe it or not a bit icy (snow still on the sides of the road) so I took it slow. The lineup was me in front, Richard, Johney, Barry, Eric and Tommy as TG. Worked out well.


We stopped at another vista point just past Crestline (I SOOO wanted to continue on to the left towards Lake Gregory, but that's one of the routes that 230 has planned sometime this year.) These are pics on the OTHER side of the mountain, down from Crestline. Those guys are just admiring the view, not doing anything else. You can see the road that we came down-it was pretty nice, after all.
I'm glad Tommy's shoulder lasted and he wasn't in TOO much pain.
You ain't-a gonna believe this, but I wanted to ride MORE, so after we gassed up at Brea Canyon Rd. & Central Ave, we went on to Carbon Canyon because I wanted to see how much (if any) of the fire damage is starting to fade and if there's any green showing. This time I took pics, but we rode for another hour or so after you guys went, about 35 more miles. It still smelled like smoke.
Hey, if I have the bike out, I'm gonna ride. Especially on such a beautiful day.

No comments: